Have you or someone you know been injured in a serious motor vehicle accident in South Dakota? You already know that there are many difficult aspects of your motor vehicle accident case. You may have received life-altering injuries as a result of the accident, need legal representation on your side when you are no longer able to work or meet the many bills that continue to pile up, or you are dealing with the emotional trauma of an accident. Facing financial burdens following an accident can be one of the most difficult things you ever have to deal with, which is why you might need professional help or resources on your side during this time. We want you to meet the monumental challenges of recovery at this time in your life.
If Your Recent Accident Took Away Your Ability to Work
You may have lost your ability to work following a serious motor vehicle accident. There are some resources available to you and your family if you are unable to receive the compensation you need during this difficult time:
- Social Security Disability Benefits: If you are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last for one year, you might be eligible for social security disability benefits. These benefits can help you and your family at this time.
- Supplemental Security Income: Here, you can find out more information regarding the process for supplemental security income in South Dakota and how you can receive compensation to move forward if you are an adult or you have children and you have low income and limited resources. There are many options available to you.
- State Bar of South Dakota: If you are in need of an experienced attorney in your specific area of law, such as a personal injury case, you might be able to connect with one in South Dakota through the resources of the State Bar Association for the entire state.
Need help with requesting an official copy of the incident police report?
Police reports are essential for those who sustained injuries and are filing personal injury lawsuits against liable parties. In the state of South Dakota, police reports can be retrieved online via the state government’s website. Police reports can be retrieved by anyone involved in the collision, insurance agents, law enforcement, and others that qualify under Marsy’s Law. We also provide local car accident attorneys who will provide you with a complimentary copy of your police incident report.
If you or a loved one needs help obtaining a copy of the police report from an injury car accident, contact our office so we can immediately assist you.
You might have healed from an accident on a physical level but this does not mean that there isn’t emotional trauma left from the accident. You might be feeling the deep wounds of mental trauma from an accident and, luckily, there are resources available to you. Follow these links to help you during this difficult time:
- Sioux Falls Psychological Services: This is a group of mental health professionals who are well-trained and experienced to suit your needs on an emotional and relational level after you have been through trauma as an individual or a whole family. You have hope no matter what your age or income level with these services.
- Sanford Health: The Sanford Health Psychiatry & Psychology Clinic can help you when you are feeling overwhelmed with life’s challenges, which can include the aftermath of serious trauma. They don’t want you to face these issues alone.
- South Dakota Therapists: This list of therapists can help you connect with one that perfectly suits your needs when you need them the most. You will find the strength to move forward with the help of a licensed and professional therapist.
Financial Hardship Assistance
The weight of legal fees, medical fees, and more might be piling up after you have been injured in a crime-related accident. Two of these accidents include those related to hit-and-runs and drunk driving. During this difficult time as these bills are bearing down on your family, you might need additional help:
- Victim’s Compensation Fund: The Crime Victims’ Compensation Program will help provide assistance to those who are victims of violent crimes. This program can help you receive compensation if you have received a personal injury and will provide up to $15,000 for your bills.
Car Insurance Information
In South Dakota, you are required to cover certain insurance coverages in comparison with other states across the U.S. Here is the minimum amount of liability insurance you must have:
- Minimum limit of $25,000 per person in an accident
- Minimum limit of $50,000 for two or more people in an accident
- $25,000 limit per accident for any property damage accident
If you have been involved in a South Dakota accident and you want to receive a copy of your police report, this is available to you when you click here. Having a copy of the crash report in your accident will help you work toward compensation if you decide to move forward with a personal injury claim at this time.
Accident Due to Drunk Driving
Drunk driving and drugged driving accidents take place on our roadways every day, causing serious injuries and fatalities to those involved. They can wreak complete havoc on your family in the event of an accident that you never expected. Here are some things that you should know about the legal limits under the law in South Dakota:
- 0.08% if you are any driver on the roads
- 0.02% if you are under 21 years of age
If any detectable amount of illegal drugs are in your system at the time of an accident, you can be convicted under the law and this will guide the way into your accident claim. If somebody has acted in a reckless manner and decided to drive while under the influence, there is a good chance that you will be able to move forward with a claim against them for damages you deserve.
Accident in South Dakota by the Numbers
We have a plethora of information available to you related to the number of fatal accidents that happen on South Dakota roads every year. First, we want to share with you that the state’s population can have a huge impact on the number of fatal accidents that take place in one year. In 2017, South Dakota’s population was 869,666 people. Though there are not many statistics available on the types of fatal accidents in South Dakota, information collected in 2017 that shows us that 111 fatal accidents occurred with 129 deaths. About 84% of these accidents took place in rural areas, but they also happened in other areas as well. Single-vehicle incidents accounted for 53% of all accidents and only 30% of those drivers had a BAC less than 0.08%.
Fatal Car Crashes
- 14.8 deaths per 100,000
- 1.38 deaths per 100 million miles traveled
Accident Types By Vehicle
- 33% of crashes involved passenger cars
- 40% of crashes involved Pickup & SUV occupants
- 5% of crashes involved large commercial vehicles
- 12% of crashes involved motorcyclists
- 8% of crashes involved pedestrians
The CDC also collected information between the years 2003-2012 and found that, in these years, 537 people lost their lives to a drunk driver on South Dakota roadways. As of 2017, that number has only risen slightly, however, South Dakota still ranks in the top 5 for the lowest 5-year trend of alcohol-related deaths.
South Dakota Grief & Trauma Resources
Resources by State:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Motor vehicle crash deaths by road user type and state, 2017
Pickup and SUV occupants
Large truck occupants