West Virginia Local Accident Resources
Have you or somebody you love been involved in a serious motor vehicle accident in West Virginia? If so, you know that enduring the process of a personal injury claim can be one of the most difficult things that you ever go through. Perhaps you have sustained life-threatening injuries that kept you in the hospital for some time. Maybe you need the legal representation of a car accident attorney because you have never gone through the process before. Maybe you have received crushing financial burdens or you are suffering emotionally due to the accident. Luckily for you, there is a variety of community resources and professionals who will help you meet the challenges of recovery at this time.
If Your Accident Took Away Your Ability to Work
Many people are unable to work every year because they experience serious accidents and have to go through a recovery period. There are some resources that can help you receive the monetary compensation that you deserve at this time.
- Social Security Administration in West Virginia: West Virginia’s Social Security Administration works to help you receive special benefits that can keep you afloat if you have been left unable to work. If your medical condition is expected to last for some time, you might qualify for these benefits.
- Social Security Income: If you have limited resources, you might qualify for this program that also works under the SSA. You can find out if you are eligible for this program.
- West Virginia State Bar: The West Virginia State Bar can help you connect with an attorney that is there to help you with your car accident needs. Finding a specific attorney who specializes in your needs can ultimately help you with your claim.
Need help with requesting an official copy of the incident police report?
In the state of West Virginia, copies of police reports can be requested online via the state government’s official website. It’s vital that those with serious injuries obtain a copy of the police report following a major accident in order to successfully file a personal injury lawsuit. If you have not gotten a copy of your police accident report yet, let our local personal injury lawyer provide you with a free copy of your incident report.
If you or someone you love is having trouble receiving a copy of the police report, we can assist you with receiving a copy and moving forward with the claims process.
Even after your body has healed from an accident, there is still a deep wound left over. You might need help coping with the emotional trauma of a car accident, which is why we want to help you receive resources you can rely on at this time.
- West Virginia Psychologists: If you are in need of a therapist, we offer a comprehensive list to you so that you can move forward knowing that you are in the care of a trusted professional.
- WVPA: The West Virginia Psychological Association helps you address your concerns after you have been involved in a traumatic accident. Highly-trained professionals are here for you in your time of need.
- WVU: For students at West Virginia University, they can seek help from trauma experts in a serious event, such as a life-changing car accident. The environment is like no other and can help you greatly in your time of need.
Financial Hardship Assistance
Perhaps you have been involved in a crime-related accident such as a drunk driving incident or a hit-and-run. If somebody has committed a negligent crime in your accident, you may have found that the legal and medical fees associated with your accident have been taking a toll on your life. It might be in your best interest to seek out additional help.
- WV Victim’s Compensation Fund: The West Virginia Legislature oversees the victim’s compensation fund for the state, which provides compensation to innocent victims of crimes who have suffered from personal injuries. If you have incurred out-of-pocket expenses in one of these accidents, you have rights.
Car Insurance Information
You are expected to carry certain liability coverages in comparison with other states. Here is the minimum liability coverage that you are permitted to carry at any given time:
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
If you are in need of the police report associated with your accident but you don’t know where to obtain it, look no further. You can fill out a West Virginia State Police request form that will help you gain your police report so that you can move forward with your claim.
Accident Due to Drunk Driving
Drunk or drugged driving can have a huge impact on your family, especially when you are left with injuries or a loved one is killed. According to the West Virginia DMV, here are some BAC limits that you should always be familiar with:
- Typical drivers with a BAC of .08% or more
- .04% if you hold a commercial driver’s license
- .02% for those who are under 21 years old
If you need support during this difficult time after somebody has driven drunk or drugged in a negligent fashion, you have rights and resources that can help. Here is just one:
- MADD West Virginia: Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a nonprofit that seeks to end drunk driving, fight drugged driving, and support victims who have been involved in one of these horrific crimes. They support you 24 hours of the day.
Accident in West Virginia by the Numbers
If you are interested in a wealth of information related to fatal traffic accidents that happen in West Virginia every year, look no further, as we have gathered research that will help you with this information. However, you must always keep in mind that a state’s population has a huge impact on the number of fatalities that take place every year on West Virginia roadways. The last time West Virginia’s population was measured was 2017, and it stood at 1.816 million people. Here is some research on the fatalities that have occurred on our roads in the year 2017, a recent year for the collection of this data:
Fatal Car Crashes
- 16.7 deaths per 100,000
- 0.98 deaths per 100 million miles traveled
Accident Types By Vehicle
- 35% of crashes involved passenger cars
- 36% of crashes involved Pickup & SUV occupants
- 3% of crashes involved large commercial vehicles
- 9% of crashes involved motorcyclists
- 9% of crashes involved pedestrians
- 1% of crashes involved Bicyclists
The CDC collected information on the number of deaths that were caused by drunk driving accidents in West Virginia between the years 2003-2012. Between these years, 1,092 people lost their lives in serious accidents due to a drunk driver. In 2017, the NHTSA reported that 24% of driving-related deaths had alcohol as a contributing factor. This brings West Virginia’s 5-year trend up and its important to note that in 2017, West Virginia only had 303 fatalities and 72 of those were alcohol -related.
West Virginia Grief & Trauma Resources
Resources by State:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Motor vehicle crash deaths by road user type and state, 2017
Pickup and SUV occupants
Large truck occupants